As part of Year 6 and Year 5’s work on rivers, water and the environment, both years have got the opportunity to go to Sutton Poyntz Water Supply Museum. As part of the trip the children will –
• find out how humans interact with the natural water cycle
• measure stream flow and calculate volumes of water flowing
• sample the river to identify macro-invertebrates
• be introduced to the concept of indicator species for quickly assessing water quality
• carry out a science investigation to compare the water quality of river water, tap water and rain water
• walk to the spring source which supplies Weymouth
The trips will be on Thursday 9 and Friday 10 November and will be within the school day. Children will need to bring –
• Wellington boots and a change of footwear
• Warm clothing and a waterproof jacket (they will go outside even if it is raining)
• A packed lunch with drink and a morning snack (those entitled for a free school meal will have a lunch provided)
The cost of the trip will be £3 per child – this covers the cost of transport to and from the venue. Please complete the slip below and return it to the office with the cost of the trip in the envelope provided by Friday 3 November.
Any questions please ask at the school office.